Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Exercise #1, Part 1: Geek Squad

For our first exercise, I've selected Geek Squad particularly because they have been the bane of my existence for the last month or so. Part 1 will mainly be the back story while Part 2 will be the actual exercise.

My story begins on January 12 when I dropped my laptop off at the Emeryville Best Buy (where I purchased the product). A few days earlier my laptop had started crashing & it had actually reached the point where I was unable to even start it in safe mode. Normally, I'd have my computer expert brother take care of it but he was out of town so I figured I'd leave it in the capable hands of the Geek Squad instead. After the agent was also unable to start it in safe mode we decided that I would pay them $130 to try and save everything on my computer but get rid of the problem & if they were unable to do so as a last resort they would erase and re-install the operating system, etc. The agent told me that it would be 5-7 days until the repairs would be completed and my laptop would be in working condition, in some form or another.

When January 19 (a week later) rolled around & I had yet to hear from them I called to check on the status. I was told that it was taking longer than expected & that it would be a few more days. Upon hearing that I had been told that the repairs would take 5-7 days I was told by the second agent that it is usually 7+ days.

On January 23, when I had still yet to hear back from them I called again. I was told that the laptop was still pulling up a black screen rather than the desktop & that within the next few hours they'd make the decision as to whether or not they would need to erase and re-install everything rather than continue attempting to save everything. However, I seriously think that they did not really even look at it let alone tinker with it until that day. A few hours later, the agent I had spoken with called me back (the one & only time I received a call from them throughout this whole ordeal). He said that it was actually an issue with the motherboard & that, with my permission, they would send it to an off-site facility & that it would be 2-4 weeks before it would be ready for pick-up. As it had already been almost 2 weeks since I had dropped it off I was not very pleased with this news but also wanted them to do whatever they needed to do to get it back in working shape.

On February 4, I was checking the status of the service order online & noticed that my laptop had supposedly arrived back at the store on the 2nd & that it had been ready for pick-up since that date. However, I had never received any notification from the Geek Squad. I immediately called the store & was informed that there were still a few finishing touches that needed to be made & that it should be ready the following day, the 5th. He also told me several times that I would receive a call from an agent letting me know that it was ready. Well, the 5th came & went & I never heard from them. On the 6th, I called AGAIN & was told that the laptop was finally ready for pick-up.

Yesterday, the 7th, I got a ride from a friend & went to pick it up. The agent brought out the laptop & had me sign some final paperwork. As I was doing this he casually mentioned that the operating system was corrupted & that I would need to re-install it. I, unfortunately, no longer have the disc that would allow me to do this so I asked if it could be done in the store. Mind you, I was pretty much stupefied that they would be giving the laptop back to me though there was still a pretty big issue with it. The agent told me that for the price of $130 they could do it for me but that it would take 5 or so more days. I explained that I had already paid $130 when I dropped it off & that there was no way that I would be doing it again. He checked their records & saw that this was so & said he'd also see if they could perhaps rush things along since I had been without the computer for so long. After talking to his cronies in the back I was told that I did not have to pay any additional costs (as I had already paid them) & that it would be done in 4 hours. He then told me that he would personally call me to let me know when it was ready. Well, this morning when I had not heard anything from him or any other agent I yet again called for an update. Today's agent told me that it is indeed ready for pick-up. I will be going tomorrow with my friend to attempt to pick it up again & will be turning it on in the presence of the Geek Squad agent to make sure that this is the end of this saga.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! That is sooooooo annoying! I think this sounds like one of those scenarios that could be played out well in social media. Put this up on Yelp or something. :)

    ReplyDelete