What do you think of libraries proactively reaching out to students in online spaces?
I do not think there is really a clear-cut answer to this question. While I think libraries should absolutely make an effort to go where their patrons are I think that libraries making first contact could be off-putting to many patrons. Yet, merely creating a Facebook page for the organization runs the risk of only drawing the attention of those patrons that are already aware of a library's goings-on essentially defeating the purpose of reaching out to those that do not yet know what their local library can offer. Nonetheless, contacting individuals directly could be a real hit or miss.
Upon being contacted by a librarian some patrons will surely be appreciative and will feel that the library is invested in their interests and needs and will conversely become more invested in the library. However, other patrons will likely feel that some sort of boundary has been crossed. Throughout my SLIS studies I have read countless articles discussing patrons' perceptions of librarians. Much of the literature argues that librarians are often viewed as figures of authority with a penchant for discipline. Working in the Circulation department and interacting with patrons on a daily basis I can definitely confirm that, unfortunately, this is often the case. Working in Public Services has taught me many a thing about customer/user service and I am grateful for it but the experience of being the "bad guy" of the library has definitely also had a sour effect on me. Patrons coming away from the library with a similar sour feeling might not be thrilled at being contacted outside of the library, by the library. On the other hand, the extra effort might make a positive impression that will negate any previous unfavorable experiences.
All in all, I think that libraries should go ahead and make first contact through Facebook or a similar social network but should recognize that such an action could likely alienate some individuals while others will eagerly take advantage of this new channel of communication.
I must confess that it wouldn't occur to me to friend a library page on Facebook, even one related to my area of interest or organization. The importance of outreach is definitely important, whether or not everyone it reaches reacts positively. At least then they will know it's there.
ReplyDeleteIt is tricky. I think you have to approach a patron more personally, but not too personally. But at the same time, not so generic as a spam email. The key is to find a common interest and pinpoint that. I think that is why dawn Lawson had such success in her experiment
ReplyDeleteI think that there is more possibility of success of a Facebook page at an academic library than in a public one. An academic library is part of the educational system of the college of university and students are more open to have interactions with librarians that they know are there with the specific purpose of contributing to their education. At a public library, the patron goes to the librarian when they want the help but as you expressed, they don't like to feel persecuted by one.
ReplyDelete