Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Anonymous Users & Lurkers

What do you think about anonymous users in an online community? What about lurkers?

As long as anonymous posters can follow community policies regarding posting and other types of participation I do not see the harm of participating anonymously or with a pseudonym. In terms of lurking, I do not think it really carries the negative connotation the name suggests. That may be because I tend to lurk myself; specifically with the LiveJournal community Oh No They Didn't!.

In my case, I am actually an unregistered lurker as I have no affiliation with the community aside from reading the freely accessible posts. Registered users of this community can post celebrity gossip/news as well as comment on others' posts. Most users operate under pseudonyms. Although I as an unregistered visitor cannot post or comment I not only enjoy catching up on the latest gossip but also reading community members' comments. The comments are actually the best & most entertaining aspect of the community. Perhaps if the community was small & sorely in need of members my invisible participation might be somewhat unfavorable. However, with 57,669 registered users I do not think my lurking makes any real difference.

1 comment:

  1. Lurking is an art. You can get involved without involving yourself. Another option of the consumerism society we are living in. I think is a valid option. Observing the behavior of others online is like seating in a bench in Central Park New York watching people pass by.

    ReplyDelete